hartlepool history logo

Pattison, James Whitehead

Lawson Road Seaton Carew

Pattison became curate of Holy Trinity Church in 1885 to assist The vicar, John Lawson, whose health was beginning to fail. Pattison left in October 1890 after John Lawson's death. He moved to Darlington and became curate of St James Church in Stockton. In 1906 he became vicar of St John's Chapel in Weardale where he remained  until his retirement in 1925.

In 1887, while in Seaton Carew, Pattison took up photography as a hobby and by 1888 had become quite prolific. His photos leave a wonderful legacy of ordinary people and places of his era. In the 1970's his daughter, Catherine, donated his collection of photos and glass plate negatives to Bowes Museum so that they could be enjoyed by everyone.

The images, besides showing us how our ancestors lived are also an aid to family history as many of his images were described with places and names.

Related items :