hartlepool history logo

Church Street before 1895

What we know about this image :

Taken looking down Church Street before the advent of electric trams in 1895 although the steam track can be seen. The Commercial Hotel can be seen on one side of Station Approach, and the two buildings on the near side, National Provincial Bank and Central Hall were soon to be demolished and rebuilt as a new bank and the Central Buildings which are there still today.

On the right, George Stephenson , draper, was also by 1898 to be rebuilt as Carter and Co, later Hill Carter, Blacketts, Dovecot Saleroom and now Hill Carter Hotel.

Part of the "Hartlepool Museum Service" collection


Related items :