hartlepool history logo

Church Street 1889?

What we know about this image :

Possibly decorations  were for the visit of Prince Albert Victor who opened the Municipal Buildings in 1889. The Commercial Hotel can be seen on the corner of Station Approach on the left and on the right,  George Stephenson, draper can be seen on the corner of Whitby Street (this was to be rebuilt by 1898 as Hill Carter- now a hotel) The steam tram track installed in 1884 is visible but there is no evidence of the 1895/6 electric tram.

The upstairs windows on the near right are still the same today.

Part of the "Hartlepool Museum Service" collection


Related items :