hartlepool history logo

Temperance Hall ticket

What we know about this image :

The Temperance Hall was in the Headland area. The ticket is self explanatory.

The Temperance Hall was located in Lumley Street in the Headland area of Hartlepool. The Temperance Hall was built in 1862 at a cost of £2200. It consisted of a hall measuring 68ftx44ft with a platform or stage measuring 30ftx15ft, the building could seat 1000 people and contained a Lecture Room measuring 44ftx15ft. The larger room was regularly used as a Concert venue. The Concerts held were usually of a benevolent nature aimed at assisting the less fortunate and those struck by tragic circumstances. For instance, raising funds to purchase shoes and clothing for 'Destitute School Children' or assisting 'Injured Workmen' in times of crisis.

The Temperance Hall was purchased by Hartlepool Borough Council during 1902. The Northern Daily Mail of 23rd June, 1902 carried the following report,"During the last few months the old Temperance Hall at Hartlepool has been in the hands of the workmen, who have been converting it into the most handsome Town Hall. The alterations are designed by Mr Crummack,the Borough Engineer, and the transformation which the building has undergone, reflects the highest credit on him and all concerned". The building,(now known as the Town Hall) was opened on Friday 27th June,1902 by the Mayor, Councillor Mark Harrison.

The Town Hall combined a Dance hall on the ground floor and a Cinema on the first floor. Prior to a film being shown the window shutters and the curtains had to be closed.

During 1936 a Mr.J.Moul of Chester-le-Street purchased the building, he completely gutted the interior, leaving the four walls and the roof intact. The Town Crest which had graced the entrance foyer to the former Town Hall had been removed, and following major renovation the building re-opened during 1937 as The Queens Picture Hall. Subsequent conversion to a Bingo Hall could not prevent closure of the building in 1959. Following a fire the the building was demolished in 1967.

Date (of image) : 0/2/1882

Part of the "Hartlepool Museum Service" collection


Related items :