hartlepool history logo

Tunstall Court

Details about Tunstall Court

Tunstall Court was built for Christopher Furness  in 1894. It had a swimming pool,a large ballroom and was originally a very luxurious home, the staircase and windows being decorated with motifs of the various ships built in Hartlepool and trades of the town. It is thought to have been used by the military in World War 1.

In the 1920s, the house was given by Chrisopher's son Marmaduke to Richardson Westgarth for use as a sports' club. Richardson and Westgarth Sports Club used the bowling green, cricket pitch and football pitch facilities. Around 1950, it was aquired by West Hartlepool Council and was renovated for educational use.  In 2002, the council granted cheap leases to anyone who wished to care for the property but in 2006, the scheme was abandoned and now sadly the house became a haven for vandals and arsonists and was finally demolished in 2014.

The two lodge houses are still occupied.




Related items :