hartlepool history logo

St Cuthbert's Church

Details about St Cuthbert's Church

In 1928, St Cuthbert's in the Foggy Furze area became independent of St Joseph's Church and services were held in St Cuthbert's School corridors at times which would not interfere with the school day. In April 1931 plans were passed to build a hall and in 1932 this opened. It was multifunctional and had a ' holy end' which could be separated by a partition.

The new church opened in 1955  on the corner of Stratford Road and Stockton Road. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle before a congregation of 1000. The new church seated 550 and over 400 heard the service by relay in the nearby school hall.

The oak pulpit was made by parishioner Richard Wilson.


Related items :