hartlepool history logo

St Francis' R.C. Grammar School

Details about St Francis' R.c. Grammar School

This building was originally a Victorian residence called 'Woodlands'. It became St Francis' Grammar School in 1956 established by the Xavarian Brothers and later taken over by the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle. Boys attended from Hartlepool and colliery towns of SE Durham. The final headteacher was Father John Bell and in 1973 he  was also appointed   head of the new  English Martyrs Comprehensive School. 

One of the large houses, Normanhusrt is now The White House public house and Woodlands and land around has made way for a small housing estate 'Woodlands


Related items :