hartlepool history logo

Fulthorpe National Endowed School

Details about Fulthorpe National Endowed School

This school, little more than a barn, was opened in 1841 and about 60 boys were crammed into it. 15 boys of Stranton Parish who were educated there were clothed and books provided for them from the will of Christopher Fulthorpe who had died in 1707 leaving instructions in his will that he wanted education for the children of the parish. The site is now in the middle of the multi storey car park in lower Park Road.

The school building was used by the Coop as a milk store around 1912 and  was demolished some time shortly after.