hartlepool history logo

Gaiety Theatre

Details about Gaiety Theatre

Built in Mainsforth Terrace in 1868 as the New Theatre Royal, it was renamed the 'Gaiety' in 1872. It could seat 1,500 people .  Moving pictures were first shown here in 1902. In 1914 it was again renamed, this time the 'Palace', before being changed back to 'Gaiety' in 1933. It closed down in 1957 and was eventually demolished in 1967.


Related items :