hartlepool history logo

Hartlepool Sixth Form College

Details about Hartlepool Sixth Form College

Hartlepool Sixth Form College.

The College evolved from West Hartlepool Grammar School.

The School was opened in 1902 in Lauder Street. At that time it was known as West Hartlepool Secondary School and it provided education for both boys and girls. A modest annual fee was charged for entry to the school.

In 1912 the girls left for the newly-opened Girls' High School in Eldon Grove. The boys remained at Lauder Street until they moved to Brinkburn in Blakelock Road in 1938. The original house at Brinkburn had been the home of the Furness family, who were shipbuilders and provision merchants. There were significant additions to the original building, including classrooms, laboratories, workshops, a gymnasium and a large assembly hall. 

In 1944, as a consequence of the Butler Act, the School became the West Hartlepool Grammar School for Boys. In 1973, under the re-organisation of secondary education in the town. it became the Upper School of Brinkburn Comprehensive School. It is now, following considerable rebuilding, the Hartlepool Sixth Form College.

First phase

The College completed the first phase of a £24.5 million new build which will be attached to the Merchant's House by means of an atrium. The atrium leads off to a new theatre and performing arts facility; media studies and film studies rooms including a TV studio and radio station; new art studios and photography suite; new student common room; bistro cafeteria; music studio and practice rooms; music technology and recording studio and purpose-built teaching rooms for the humanities and social science subjects.

Second phase

The second phase of the build was completed in the summer of 2010 and includes science and maths classrooms; childcare and health and social care classrooms; ICT classrooms; PE and Sports Science facilities including a county class Sports Hall and fitness suite.


Related items :