hartlepool history logo

Coal Dock

Details about Coal Dock

Work on the harbour and dock at West Hartlepool began in January 1845. When opened on 1st June 1847 it covered an area of 8 acres. Among the earliest businesses to set up here were the shipbuilders Irvine and Pile, and Lauder’s timber yard and sawmill. The docks also provided refuge and shelter to a vast number of ships during gales. The first ship to enter the dock was the barque Prince, commanded by Captain Black, from Jersey.


Related items :