hartlepool history logo

Eleazar HL51 - a general history

Lancashire Evening Post, January 1st, 1909:
STEAMER FOUNDERS. SEVENTEEN PASSENGERS SAVED. DISASTROUS CHRISTMAS EXCURSION. The passenger steamer Grange, of Grangemouth, foundered 30 miles off the Tyne yesterday morning during the boisterous weather. The crew and 17 passengers were saved by the Hartlepool trawler Eleazar.
The Grange, which was on passage from Grangemouth to London, had a holiday party on board, comprising 16 workmen, who were on a ten-days’ excursion to London. She left Grangemouth at seven o’clock on Wednesday morning, and when clear of the Firth of Forth encountered exceedingly bad weather. The storm increased in violence, and heavy seas broke over the vessel. The fore-hatch was burst open, water pouring into the holds like a deluge, while the general cargo was mass of wreckage, and was tossed about by mountainous seas.
Captain Ison, the master, fought heroically against overwhelming odds, but eventually matters became almost hopeless, and the pumps were resorted to; nevertheless, the water poured in, and the ship was tossed about on huge seas. The stoke-hold was flooded, but the firemen worked diligently, waist deep in water. The storm increased in severity, and another hatch was carried away, more water flooding the vessel.
Captain Ison ordered lifebelts to be donned, and preparations for leaving the foundering vessel were made. Everyone was calm, and without any signs of panic the passengers and crew, refreshed with hot coffee, took to the small boats. The stewardess, the only lady on board, first lowered into a small boat, followed by the passengers and crew, all wearing lifebelts.
The captain remained on board the steamer to the last, and when three lifeboats had been filled by 45 persons, the Grange was deserted. At the mercy of the huge seas, the crew and passengers’ position was even more perilous in the small boats; but eventually the Hartlepool trawler Eleazar hove in sight. At great risk the chief officer, Johnson, again boarded the sinking Grange, and blew the steamer’s whistle, which attracted the trawler's crew. All were rescued, and were subsequently landed at the Sailors’ Home, North Shields. The Grange eventually foundered.
Mr. Laird, a passenger, who had retired to rest when the full force the storm was met, stated that they had entirely undressed. Many of the other passengers had kept on a good portion of their clothes, but they were all in bed. They knew nothing about the ship’s hatch being burst in; but about four o’clock in the morning they were startled by a huge quantity of water rushing into the second-class compartment. Their luggage began float about, and they thought at first that the vessel had only shipped a sea, and that there was no danger. They were called on deck some time afterwards by the carpenter. They at once proceeded on to the bridge. This was about six o’clock yesterday morning, at which time they were totally unaware of the dangerous position of the vessel. While on the bridge they were told to put life belts. There was no panic whatever, but the passengers were unable to recover any of their clothing or luggage, which contained many Christmas presents. The captain and officers have also lost everything, besides a considerable sum of money.
The Grange was a steel screw steamer of 1,519 tons gross register, built at Newcastle in 1892 for the Carron Line. She was one of the best-known vessels in the Thames-Forth trade. The steam trawler Eleazar arrived in the Tyne yesterday afternoon, and landed the crew and passengers, forty-five in number.

Related items :