hartlepool history logo

Old cottages and house

What we know about this image :

The photo taken in 1853 shows the little row of buildings that back onto the foreshore. They would have probably been flooded at extremely high tides. The centre cottage was a post office and grocery shop. The large house at the end was a farmhouse and then became the Cafe Royal.

Date (of image) : 1853

Donor : Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, County Durham

Creator : Edward Backhouse

Part of the "Pattison's Photographs" collection


Related items :