hartlepool history logo

Longhill School

What we know about this image :

Very poor but rare image of the 1874 Longhill School in Windermere Road with the infant department of 1902 to the right. Junior and senior pupils were moved to the new Memorial School in 1926. However, by 1927 there were 216 children attending the small infants' department and two rooms in the old building had to be used.

By 1938, St Aidan's Parish magazine mentioned that the state of the old school building was causing concern. When exactly it was demolished is unclear but on the 1949 Hartlepool Mail photo of infant children outside the school, the large pile of rubble seems to be the remains of the 1874 building.

Donor : St Aidan's Primary School


Related items :