hartlepool history logo

South end of Seaton Carew - 1860s

What we know about this image :

This image is c1860 and the lifeboat house marked the end of the village until it was moved in 1914 when POWs constructed the Port Clarence road. The large house at the end of the row was, at this time, two separate residences. It later became a guest house named the Southolme and then the Arches. The white cottages towards the end of the row were demolished in 1973. The sixth house along was known as Bath House and in 1838 the title deeds were in the names of Thomas Crawford, Ralph Ward Jackson and William Wood. The house was occupied by Thomas Crawford, yeoman, and his family. The Crawfords were related to the Hood family, lifeboat men.

Donor : Maureen Anderson


Related items :