Elwick Road, Hartlepool.
The photo was taken in the 1990s. For many years Briarfields was an old men's home but has recently been converted into luxury flats. The area where the photo was taken was for many years up until the mid 1960s the sports field for the Girls' High School in Eldon Grove
HHT+N 77More detail »
Just prior to demolition, the photo was taken looking towards the boys department. Senior boys were upstairs and junior boys downstairs. The girls' department at the far end of the building was exactly the same. At this point, the school had been part of the 6th Form College.More detail »
Taken in 1999 at the rear of the school the boys department was to the left, the girls to the right.
The playground did, until it was part of the 6th Form College, have a brick wall to separate boys and girls and,certainly in the 1960s and before, children were often reprimanded for talking to the opposite sex through the gate. The additonal brickwork above the Boys and Girls rear entrances were added circa early 1950's for the Senior Boys Headmaster and the Senior Girls HeadmistressMore detail »
After working at CMEW at the turn of the 19th century, Samuel Charles Payne opened a General Dealers shop in Corporation Road, (Old) Hartlepool. Around 1930 he moved to a larger shop in Elwick Road. This photograph shows his sons Edward George Payne (right) and Howard Charles Payne standing in the shop doorway.More detail »
The image seems to have been taken from Powell Street or Bangor Street possibly as the houses were about to be built indicated by the terrain. On the left, the back of houses in Arncliffe Gardens can be seen. The wall on the right is the corner of a shop. However, the buildings to the right of St Matthew's are a mystery as no current buildings seem to have that roof shape.
Can anyone help ?
HHT&N 611More detail »
The view looks up Elwick Road and on the right behind the wall is Greenbank, once the home of JW Cameron. Waldon Street is on the right after the wall and across Elwick Road in front of the large building which is now Stranton Social Club. The terrace of houses on the right is Bathgate Terrace, Elwick Road and beyond them on the right is Holt Street, Kilwick Street and then York Road.
The quite regular floods, although a nuisance, were obviously quite an attraction.
HHT+N 36More detail »
The two large houses in the foreground looking over the Burn Valley Gardens, are Ambleside on the left and Rosebank on the right and these formed Rosebank School. The large white house on the top left on the Elwick Road/ Queensberry Ave corner is Hartdale which is still there today although it is divided into two homes. The large white house top centre was Broomhill home of the Forslind family. This house was demolished in 1970 and a number of bungalows occupy the site.
Newlands Ave is the road in the centre running vertically and Westlands, Northlands, Eastlands, Southlands Avenues can be seen having been built after WW2. Claremont Drive can be seen but is very incomplete and only the first few houses built for RAF (Army ?) personnel are apparent on the top right.More detail »
The image has been taken probably in the late 1950s from the traffic lights in Elwick Road looking towards York Road. Where the advertising hoardings are now is Shotton's Furniture Store.
In World War 2 following a bombing raid, 31 houses in Elwick Road and Houghton Street were demolished here.
In the background on the left is the tower of Stranton Club and the chimney is probably that of Durham Paper Mills.
The adverts are for Walls Ice Cream, Guiness, Players cigarettes, Double Maxim beer, Fairy, Trex and the Empire Theatre where the main act was The Merry Magpies.More detail »