Work began on the original Lighthouse in 1846. During the First World War Hartlepool was heavily bombed by German warships, so the War Office decided to move the lighthouse, to make more room for the Battery which stood alongside it. The first Heugh Lighthouse was demolished in 1915, and was replaced by a temporary light on the Town Moor. The current lighthouse was built in 1926-7.
This impressive bonfire was built to celebrate the end of the First World War. Alongside it is the temporary lighthouse. The original lighthouse on the Headland was demolished as it got in the way of the guns from the Heugh Battery. The temporary lighhouse was constructed on the Town Moor, where is stood from 1915 until it was replaced by the current structure in 1926.More detail »
This picture shows houses in Cliff Terrace and the original lighthouse, which was removed by 1915. The house on the right was the home of the Misses Kay, who were killed and the house demolished during the Bombardment of the town on 16th December 1914.
One of the houses on the left was once owned by Thomas Richardson, who built the first Hartlepool ship "Castle Eden". The playground in foreground is now the Memorial Gardens.More detail »
The Original Lighthouse
Work began on the first lighthouse, designed by Stephen Robinson, in 1846. Built of white sandstone, it was 24ft in diameter at the base, and stood 48ft high to the top of the gallery. It cost £3,200.
The lantern was 14 ½ ft in diameter, and was powered by coal gas. It shone for the first time on 1st October 1847. Below this main lantern (the White Light) was a smaller, Red Light. This shone at night between the half-flood and half-ebb tides. The Red Light signalled the time when it was safe for ships to enter the harbour. During the day the red light couldn’t be seen clearly, so instead the lighthouse keeper had to hoist a large red ball to the top of a mast.
The Temporary Light
During the First World War Hartlepool was heavily bombed by German warships, so the War Office decided to move the lighthouse, to make more room for the Battery which stood alongside it. The first Heugh Lighthouse was demolished in 1915, and was replaced by a temporary light on the Town Moor.
The New Lighthouse
The temporary lighthouse was finally replaced by a new lighthouse in 1926-7. It was built near to the site of the original lighthouse, but was carefully designed to be easily taken down in an emergency – just in case the guns on the Battery were needed again!
The new lighthouse was made from white-painted cast iron, and stood 42ft high to the top of it’s dome. It was powered by electricity, and it’s light was 61,000 candlepower.
The lamp was lit and extinguished automatically with a spring switch, which had to be wound up every two weeks.More detail »
Lighthouse from the Heugh Breakwater. Also, the breakwater seems to be getting repaired at this time. There is a crane like structure at the end with new blocks lined up on the pier. The crane is secured by wired secured on the beach to the right.More detail »