St.Aidan's Church opened in 1890 on the corner of Oxford and Stockton Streets.
Before this, the need had arisen for another parish between those of Seaton Carew and Stranton as the population of the town and the area around Belle Vue and Longhill in particular had grown dramatically. The mayor of the time and brewery owner JW Cameron had aquired the Stranton Estate and offered a site on which to build a church. In May 1889, the foundation stone of St Aidan's was laid by Bishop Sandford and the church, in Early English style was opened in 1890 the money having been raised by a building committee at Greenbank, Cameron's home and the 4000 'labouring class 'parishioners in the area. It cost £4211.11s.8d to build. In October 1911, when funds allowed, a clock tower was added.
Prior to the 1890 building, an iron temporary chapel was opened in Oxford Street costing £400 but this could only hold 250 of the 4000 in the parish. After the new church had been built, the iron mission room was sold to St Paul's for £150 and was taken by traction engine and slipways to Murray Street, an operation which took three weeks.
It was further sold to St Luke's parish as that church was being built. The 'travelling' mission hall then returned to Belle Vue and became Belle Vue Congregational Church in Edgar Street where it remained until Ashgrove Ave Congregational Chapel was opened.
Opening of Brenda Road at North End, looking down Stockton Road with St. Aidan's Church visible in the background.Whole length of Stockton Road to Tees Road formally opened 9th November 1927, article appeared in Northern Daily Mail. Section between Stockton Road and Seaton Lane opened in 1924 was known as Brenda Street until 1925.
HHT+N 35More detail »
Donated by the great, great grandson of Howcroft who, as can be seen on the right of the picture had an engineering company where Tones' Garage is today.
The spire had just been consecrated. Behind the church, Oxford Street School can be seen.More detail »