The Smith (Banyer) family
Taken in 1970, Robert Smith who was then working for Hartlepool Mail can be seen talking to the lady on the left. The shop belonged to Hinton's and was on the block between Park Road and Gill Street. THe left hand part of the building is now part of the Nat West Bank and the right hand part a clothing store.More detail »
Left to right are , MinnieWilliamson nee Charlton, Florence Smith, Ellen Charlton and John Smith. Florence had a china shop in York road next to St George's Church and lived in Elwick where she regularly could be found drinking Guiness in the back room of the McOrville.More detail »
Taken on the other side of road to the other photo in Ward St back street. From left is Richard Banyer, Gillian Banyer, Brian Coverdale and June Coverdale in 1952. The War Memorial and beyond that Perry's building can clearly be seen. To the right of the children is the back of Binns Department Store.More detail »
Trevor Banyer in Ward Street back street looking towards Stockton St. To the right are Binns 'bicycle sheds' although they were always full of cardboard boxes and a good place for hide and seek . The only danger was Binns staff finding out!More detail »
Taken in Ward Street in 1952, the baby is Ian Coverdale. The picture looks west, past the Armoury on the left and Victory Square on the right with York Road in the distance, the church being York Road Methodist Church. This side of Ward Street shared a busy back street with Binns, with wagons entering at the Swainson St end and leaving at the Stockon St end. Gillian SmithMore detail »
These square tents were very popular in the summer even on days when the weather was not so good! They folded up and when they were put up, the children enjoyed filling up the pockets round the bottom with sand which kept them anchored.
On this 1950 photo are Ethel Crowe, Evelyn Dunnington, Tot Crowe and Hilda Crowe.More detail »