Images relating to Hartlepool Scouts.
This image of a St George's Day parade is quite unusual as it shows Christ Church vicarage on the right. An image in 1960 on these pages shows an empty space as it was soon to be demolished. For some time the site was vacant before Barclays Bank was built on the site. This building was later altered and is now Wetherspoons Ward Jackson pub.
Before demolition, the vicarage had for some years been a Miinistry of Pensions office.
More detail »
The 40th Hartlepool Scouts had begun in a garden room of Oval Grange when the Pyman family lived there. The Yuill family gave some land on which to build new premises and around 1963, this was opened on the Tunstall Ave side of the land. The Oval Grange greenhouses can be seen behind.
On the photo are; Mr and Mrs Stevenson, two civic dignitaries, Mrs Pyman holding flowers and Mr Pyman behind, Albert Knox, Lloyd Taylor, Jimmy Atkinson, Anne Welford, David Wheeler, Frank Welford and Frank Dunn.More detail »
Taken around 1956 at 37 The Oval, the image shows Frank Welford in a pedal car made from scrap and showing the Scout emblem on the bonnet. Looking on are 40th cub Terry Arthur and 40th scouts David Allen and Panshore Roberts.More detail »
The photo was taken in 1973 inside Longscar Hall. The 40th Scouts group scoutmaster was Lloyd Taylor, and here his mother is being presented with flowers to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 40th Scouts.
This original Longscar Hall had a concertina partition half way across the hall which created two smaller halls. This can be seen behind Mrs Taylor. The partition was opened for large events, as this must have been, and on exceptionally busy summer days at Seaton when there were also doors which opened onto the sea side of the building.More detail »
Scouts from the 1st Whitehill, Chester-le-Street and West Hartlepool Girl Guides, in camp at Sandsend, sometime between 1946-48. On the back row are Scouts Walter Pattison, John McGorrigan and Jack Harvey. On the front row is James George Rutter with a Guide named Pamela, surname unknown.
More detail »
Scouts from the 1st Whitehill, Chester-le-Street and West Hartlepool Girl Guides, in camp at Sandsend, sometime between 1946-48. The back row Scouts are Jack Hunter, ?, ?, Alec Wilson, Matty Coliins and Ronnie Redpath. On the next row Walter Pattison, Ronnie Gibson, John McGorrigan, Ralph Pearson, George Levitt. Next row Colin Redpath. Front row ?, Jack Harvey, Jack Spedding, Dicky Curry, James George Rutter, Joe Pearson, and Ernie White. None of the Guides can be identified at present.More detail »