Oxford Road, West Hartlepool.
Taken around 1963, Atkinson's Dairy was on the corner of Oxford Road and Stirling Street. It is now converted into a house. There is an advert in the shop window for Billy Smart's Circus which would have beenon the nearby Recreation Ground (Rec).
It must be remembered that before the age of the supermarket, milk could only be purchased through doorstep delivery or from a dairy. Corner shops did not sell milk.More detail »
Rift House Farm stood on land where Kingsley Primary School now stands in Kingsley Ave. On this image, the houses in Taybrooke Avenue have not been built and the houses in the background are the backs of those in Oxford Road and on the far left, the first few in Swalebrooke Avenue.More detail »
Shop on the corner of Rugby Street and Oxford Road taken in 1962 which is now converted into a house. The shop at some time has probably been called Ryan's indicated by the blind. Note the Mothers Pride bread delivery.More detail »
This was probably taken around 1947 when West Hartlepool Council was constructing B.I.S.F. (British Iron and Steel Federation)housing quickly, more or less from kits, in common with other towns following the massive shortage of homes after World War 2. In West Hartlepool, these were built here at Rift House and in the Windermere Road area. In Hartlepool, they were built in the General Hospital area and they were often referred to as 'tin houses'.
St Aidan's Church can be seen in the distance at the bottom of Oxford Road and just past the houses on the left is Kingsley Avenue. On the far left behind the new houses, are probably those in Browning Avenue or Kingsley Avenue. Building is still taking place and a few more houses were built next to these, but to this day there is a large grassed area and playground just to the west of these houses. The houses are still there today but some are greatly altered.More detail »
The Catcote, previously known as the Catcote Hotel, stood on Catcote Road, Hartlepool, opposite the junction with Oxford Road and opened in 1956. In 1998 it becameThe Shakespeare before being demolished in 2008 to make way for shops.More detail »