The pool opened in 1914 and in 1920 West Hartlepool Amateur Swimming Club was formed. The pool was used by the public and for school swimming lessons for years and many will remember the hot pies sold by the Woodpecker Cafeover the road by the bus stop into town The baths closed in 1976 as the Mill House Baths had opened in 1972.
A small restaurant complex is now on the site.
Seaton Baths had been closed for the duration of the war and some six years after. When they finally reopened in May 1951 there were massive queues and people waited outside for the last hourly session to end before hopefully being admitted. On the first day 3,500 swimmers used the pool and four days later on May 13th the queue on this picture shows it was still long.More detail »
The baths were donated by William Gray and opened in 1914. During the war they were requisitioned by the military and re-opened to the public in 1951. They closed for the last time in 1976 and were demolished in 1978. The tram line to the front of the image was constructed in 1900 in a similar manner to a light railway for part of its length.More detail »