A terrace of large and very imposing Victorian properties running along the east side of Ward Jackson Park.
Pyman League & Junior Clubs. West Hartlepool 3rd XV 1927/1928
Winners of the Durham County 3rd Teams Cup, Lormor Cup, Capt Young’s Cup, Pyman League and Flag and Dr W S Gibb Shield with a record of Played 30, Won 29 lost 1, Points for 583 against 83.
The picture is believed to have been taken at the home of Mr Ole Aarvold “Higham” in Park Avenue.More detail »
Taken in the mid 1960s when there were many beautiful floral displays. Note the sign pointing to Elwick on the fence and the red surface on the road which was apparently something Mr Wooler, who originally owned the land, insisted upon being kept up. Sadly this does no longer seem to happen.
The gatehouse, after being derelict for a number of years, is now private office premises.More detail »
Taken by the late Doris Wilson in the mid 1960s, the view is along Park Avenue towards Elwick Road with Ward Jackson Park on the right. The road is its traditional red colour which was supposedly agreed in the 1880s when the land was sold by Mr Wooler. Park Avenue, parts of Elwick Road near the park and the nearby Parade had red coloured tarmac.
Today that appears to have been forgotten and the road surface are black.More detail »