A selection of photographs and documents kindly shared with this project by Mr. David Payne.
After working at CMEW at the turn of the 19th century, Samuel Charles Payne opened a General Dealers shop in Corporation Road, (Old) Hartlepool. Around 1930 he moved to a larger shop in Elwick Road. This photograph shows his sons Edward George Payne (right) and Howard Charles Payne standing in the shop doorway.More detail »
CMEW workers in 1901. Samuel Charles Payne, seated immediately in front of the bowler-hatted Foreman, was an Iron Turner, but sometime before 1911 left to open a General Dealers shop in Corporation Road, (Old) Hartlepool.More detail »
Samuel Charles Payne (far right), with his mother and six brothers and sisters sometime around 1875. Samuel's father, Edward George Payne, was a sailor from Norfolk who married in Hartlepool in 1866, but unfortunately died from Typhoid in 1874 leaving his wife to care for their 7 children, one of whom was not born until after his death.
More detail »
A Wesley Sunday School Group taken sometime in the early 1950s. People in the photograph include David Payne (3rd from left, 2nd row from the back), Margaret Payne, Frank Brunner, Arnold Longhorn, Harry Lewis (centre, 2nd row from the back), Peter Harle, Pat Massam, Muriel Longhorn and Beryl Claxton.More detail »