The Croft, Old Hartlepool which is situated on the Town Wall near to the Fish Sands.
Children on the beach in front of the Croft. There seems to be a mixture of children with some well dressed and others not. One child to the right of the group has a crutch.
Cambridge Buildings on left behind beach. Public House. Freemason's arms in centre was demolished in 1906 (also called Jane Hunter on the Sands)More detail »
Cambridge buildings on right. The public house on the beach is Freemason's Arms. (jane hunter and The Sands was nickname). The pub was opened 1851. It was closed 1898 and demolished 1906. The rounded building was a water tower (on 1914 map named as a sewage tank). The pub just left of Sandwell Gate was The Alma was built in 1830s and demolished in 1935 .
HHT+N631More detail »
Peace Tea Party in Wells Yard (at the North end, looking South ).The lady sitting at the right end of the table is Eliza Hartley Sanderson formerly Phillips, nee Webster, who lived at 5 Wells Yard. The lady next to her is possibly Mary Isabella Corner nee Boagey, who lived at number 9. Eliza's daughter, Lily Phillips was married to Mary's son, George Thomas Corner and they also lived in Wells Yard. The table in the photograph was directly in front of the stairs, draped with the Union Jack Flag, next to the building angled across the alley at the North end.The photographer was standing in front of the stairs on the building behind him.
More detail »
Children walking up Sandwell Chare towards the Sandwell Gate, town wall. Note the lady leaning out of the window. The house, known as the Croft, have now all been demolished.More detail »