The Seaton Lowlight and Highlight Lighthouses were built in 1838 and opened in 1839.
The Lowlight stood at the end of Queen Street near the Staincliffe. It displayed a red light. It was demolished between 1900 and 1902 during a road widening scheme to allow the coastal tramway to pass.
The Highlight displayed a fixed white light. It was originally situated 1,189 yards (1,087 m) inland at the end of Windermere Road in what is now the Longhill Industrial Estate. It was a 70 feet (21m) tall Tuscan column of sandstone with the base at a height of 89 feet (27 m) above mean high tide. It contained a newel helical stair lit by slit windows between the masonry blocks. Locals called it the Longhills Lighthouse. With the Lowlight gone it stood unused and was eventually surrounded by the Bachelor Robertson tin works which opened in 1916. It was made a listed Grade II building in 1985 due to its architectural significance. It was gifted to Hartlepool Borough Council (who hold it in the public trust) in 1995 and moved by the Teesside Development Corporation to its current site on Jacksons Landing.
Lowlights and Highlights were very important safety innovations in the 18th and 19th Century. Fishing vessels coming in to shore would align up on the two lights and keep them together as they approached on a safe route into land. This is why the lights needed to be placed some distance apart. They tended to be replaced by modern electric lights from the 1880s.
THe highlight at Longhill surrounded by the North Steel Works. The light was built in 1839 along with the Low Light at Seaton. One light shone above the other to give double lights as a warning to the vessels out at sea.
If you look behind the lamp post in right-hand side of the image you will see the rising conveyor gallery that carried the iron ore and coke breeze up to the surge bins in the building immediately to the left of the lamp post. The mixed ore and breeze was then conveyed to the building to the left again to be sintered and sent to the nearby blast furnaces of the South Durham Steel and Iron Company.
HHT+N 97More detail »