hartlepool history logo


Details about Greenside

Public house at Foggy Furze Stockton Road. It was originally the home of a Cameron's Brewery Managing Director Henry Hewlitt who named it Greenside which was almost the same name  as Cameron's own home Greenbank. In 1943 it became a probation hostel and after lying empty for some years was opened by Camerons as a public house on September 28th 1967. The theme of the pub was nautical and amongst other decorations there was a ship's wheel, a cannon, lifebelt, polished casks as tables and a huge copper galleon. The pub and grill room were extremely popular.

Unfortunately,it was badly fire damaged in 1968 but was renovated and reopened quickly. It was demolished and rebuilt in 1994.


Related items :