Hoggett's first opened in 1850 in Musgrave Street and in 1911 moved to Lynn Street. It specialised firstly in pianos and sheet music. By 1906 it cost 10s.6d a month to buy a piano on 'terms' and a new phonograph with one record could be bought for 5s.0d. The shop also sold crystal radio sets when they became popular. In a 1958 advert, when the shop in Lynn Street was given a very modern look with dropped ceilings, there was also a workshop in Avenue Road with 12 TV, radio and gramophone engineers. The new look 1958 shop had an extensive range of radio and television 'receivers' downstairs and records and record players upstairs.