Central Stores, Park Road, Hartlepool was Grade 2 listed in Dec 1985.
TAKEN FROM BRITISH LISTED BUILDINGS:
'Department store, 1913-15, by Lionel G. Ekins. Portland stone ashlar and slate roof. Occupies large corner site. Baroque style. 3 storeys andattic storey; 4 bays to ground floor, 8 bays to upper floors, and curvedquadrant bay to right angle. Ground floor: stone fascia and cornice on rusticated piers flanking mid C20 shop fronts and doorways. Giant IonicOrder through upper floors. Windows recessed behind single and pairedcolumns. Moulded, mullioned-and-transomed casement windows to first floor;
moulded mullioned casements to 2nd floor, with glazing bars and swags tornamented aprons. Recessed 2-storey bay window to quadrant, with banded concave splays. 5th bay has Diocletian window over mullioned 3-light casement window in round-headed arch of banded rustication with convex chamfer, keystone and pediment having an embellished tympanum. Short,square clock tower rises above 5th bay, with banded rusticated antae and urn finials at angles. Masonry domed, octagonal cupola has convex sides alternated with Ionic, open-pedimented aedicules. Balustraded parapet withraised pedestal over quadrant, inscribed : 'HARTLEPOOLS COOPERATIVE SOCIETY.' Low-pitched mansard roof. The 7-bay right return is similar, butlacks a clock tower. Later extension to west side (rear) is not ofinterest. Clock tower is an important townscape feature in the town-centre area.'
Date unclear but would be pre 1950 as there are trolley bus lines evident. This view clearly shows the entrance to the arcade where one entrance was in the centre of the Park Road side of the store under the grand arched window. The other entrance to the arcade was to the left of the blinds where some people can be seen. under a further arched window. For quite a number of years before the store closed , the Stockton Street side of the arcade was blocked and became part of the store, and then the Park Road side of it was also closed off.More detail »
Shortly before it closed completely, most of the trading was done on the ground floor selling decorating,DIY, hardware and soft furnishings rather than the vast range of goods which had been sold throughout the life of the store.More detail »
In September 1958, a new state of the art cafe was opened on the top floor of the Central Stores and was accessed by stairs or a lift in the centre of the store.
On the 'specials' menu is a 3 course meal including stuffed roast heart. Lovely !More detail »
Central Stores, Park Road, HartlepoolMore detail »
Looking East down Park Road, Hartlepool towards Pierce's Opticians, with the Central Stores on the right.More detail »
The two men on the left are on the corner of Park Street and the next street on the left with Ward Jackson School beyond is Rokeby Street. On the right, the street visible between the terrace of shops is York Street. The view taken in 1955 looks towards The Central Stores.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
Probably taken in the late 1950s, the image shows buses passing outside the Central Stores. This for many years was the bus route through Musgrave St, Lynn St and Church Street between Rift House and Hart Avenue/ Thornhill Gardens. Pierce Opticians is clearly visible in the cenre on Stockton St and the hoarding on the left advertises Halfords.More detail »
Salavation army hostel long gone, just the old co-op building standingMore detail »
Probably taken in the early 2000s before The Stranton closed and reopened as a Visitor Centre and The Brewery Tap. Possibly the construction work behind the Central Stores is the beginning of Park Towers residential development.More detail »