Grade two listed former bank building in Church Street opened in 1899.
One of a series of pictures inside the Midland Bank. It is unclear when the photos were taken although F J Horsley was the manager on them and is listed in trade directoies as manager in the early 1900s through to 1935 at least.
Notice how the counter is completely open to customers.More detail »
A grade 2 listed building on the corner of Church St and Scarborough Street which is now a fitness centre. The photo appears to be when it was very new so is around 1900.
Extract from British Listed Buildings:
Bank, 1899, by Barnes and Coates (Hartlepool). Sandstone ashlar, rusticated
on ground floor; slated mansard roof and 4 corniced stacks. Occupies
important corner site; quasi Baroque style. 3 storeys, basement and attic
storey. Principal front (east) to Scarborough Street has 8 bays to ground
floor, including doorway in angle of right-hand corner bay, under relief-
ornamented overdoor. Doorway to left-hand bay under an aedicule. 2-light
transomed ground-floor windows, those to bays 4 and 5 being round-headed. 6
upper-floor bays, the 2nd to 5th set back behind balustraded balcony, and
giant pedimented Corinthian colonnade to 3rd and 4th bays. 3-light
mullioned-and- transomed windows to first floor, quasi Venetian to 2nd and
5th bays; all under segmental or triangular pediments and continuous
entablature. 2nd floor has 2-light windows, round-headed in 2nd and 5th
bays. Modillion cornice and parapet with balustraded panels to 2nd and 5th
bays. 5 flat-roofed dormers with eaves cornices. 3-bay right return
(facing Church Street) is similar, with upper-floor windows to bays 2 and 3
with Corinthian pilasters and pediments and having balustrades between the
pedestals. Plaster wall panelling and moulded and panelled ceilings to
banking hall and Manager's office.