Opened in 1856 some way from Old Hartlepool at the time, and right on the sea front, over 26000 people were buried at Spion Kop. Although the cemetery was closed some years ago for new graves, the last burial was 1997.
Adjoining the cemetery at the north end of it, is a Jewish Cemetery.
Many of the old tombstones in this remote burial ground are completely covered with sand and the cemetery is a local nature reserve maintained by Hartlepool Council.
The photograph has been taken on waste land in Old Cemetery Road looking towards Steetley in May 1999. The brick wall is that of Hartlepool Old Cemetery (often known as Spion Kop) The Jewish Cemetery entrance can just be identified by pillars in the wall close to Steetley.More detail »