Italians have long been associated with ice cream and were largely responsible for the 19th century increase in production. Several families of Italian extraction ran ice cream businesses in the Hartlepools.
Bianco's cafe in Whitby Street (with the GPO,now a nightclub, in the background) To the left of the cafe is The Princess Helena public house which was built in 1865 and is still open today. Bianco's is now Cafe India.
The street on the right is Surtees St.More detail »
This is between Surtees Street and Reed Street. The photograph shows H. Lamb, Civic Restaurant, Delifare, W. Duncan and the popular coffee shop Curry (still known by its previous name of Rossi's for many years).More detail »