James Street, a residential street in Hartlepool
Taken in 1955 looking towards Lynn Street from Mainsforth Terrace. At this point James Street was partly demolished. On the left, the back of the large terraced houses were those in Burbank Street.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »