Images of the many dock warehouses at Hartlepool and West Hartlepool.
This is No 8 warehouse which stood on the eastern side of Union Dock. It was built by the North Eastern Railwayfor the opening of the new docks in 1880. Its function was as a grain store. However the foundations at the northern end were inadequate. The land had been part of the Slake so the ground was soft, and in 1929 a section of the north end collapsed. The remaining part of the building was retained until after World War 2.
The CMEW crane can be seen in the background.
Information supplied by Steve Frost.
HHT&N 278More detail »
The Doxford-built 'turret' ship Galavale in Jackson Dock alongside No.2 Warehouse - possibly with a cargo of grain. In the left background is No.4 Warehouse (the Match Factory), which caught fire and was destroyed in August 1954.More detail »