hartlepool history logo

Hartlepool College of Art


Details about Hartlepool College Of Art

The current College of Art and Design opened in September 1969. However the College of Art (or Government School of Art as it was then called) was first opened in Church Street Atheneum in 1874. In 1897, it moved to  the top floor of Lauder Street Technical College where it remained until moving in 1939 to the vacated Church Square School which had been built in 1857 as West Hartlepool Public School.

The College remained there until the building was completely destroyed by fire in 1966. The new College of Art and Design opened on the same Church Square site in 1968 where it remains to this day offering a range of courses to University level.


Location



Related items :