Kingsley Avenue, Hartlepool
The Caledonian Road end of Westbrooke Ave was built between the two world wars and carried on into the late 1940s when Southbrooke Ave was also built.
In the late 1950s Yuill built the rest of the Brooke Estate, namely, Swalebrooke, Tynebrooke, Taybrooke, Teesbrooke and Trentbrooke Avenues, part of Kingsley Ave and the east part of Catcote Road which was nearby.
The Estate on the 1959 advert is Northbrooke Estate but it is known as the Brooke Estate.More detail »
Rift House Farm stood on land where Kingsley Primary School now stands in Kingsley Ave. On this image, the houses in Taybrooke Avenue have not been built and the houses in the background are the backs of those in Oxford Road and on the far left, the first few in Swalebrooke Avenue.More detail »
Taken from Brierton Lane looking north along what would become Kingsley Avenue. The cemetery would be to the right of the allotment fence on the right. There are still allotments on either side of this path which still links Brierton Lane and Kingsley Avenue, but the only building is Rift House Farm which is on the site where Kingsley School stands near Oxford Road roundabout. Only a small part of Westbrooke and Southbrooke Avenues had been built on the Brooke Estate at this point which dates it perhaps to the 1940s.
Reverse of photo says Mr RA Armour 43 Arncliffe GardensMore detail »
Taken from the corner of Southbrooke Ave looking towards Oxford Road. The houses on the right are very new but those on the left are under construction. On the left, the foundations of Tynebrooke Ave appear to be under construction. Rift House Farm can clearly be seen in the centre of the image.
This will have been taken around 1960.More detail »