Area of Hartlepool right on the coast surrounded by railway lines. It was demolished in 1981 and is now part of The Marina residential area.
Pyman League & Junior Clubs. New Stranton Celtic RFC 1898/1899
As the name suggests, this side was from the “Old Town” area of West Hartlepool and are believed to have played their games at Carr House Field, Seaton Carew. . Like many of the minor Clubs at the time they played in both the Hartlepool and Durham County Junior Cups and were founder members of the Pyman League.
Disputes between clubs were common at this time as happened during the 1901/1902 season Cup run, they drew Empress Rovers from Hartlepool, with the first meeting being abandoned due to poor light, 20 minutes early. The replay saw Rovers home by 16-9, however Celtic protested and the game was ordered to be replayed. Rovers failed to show for this new date but at the 4th attempt Rovers came out on top by 3 – 0. Empress Rovers then went on to eventually win the County Cup defeating Hetton Old Boys at Hollow Drift in Durham City by 6 pts to 3.More detail »
A 19th century view looking towards Hartlepool from Carr House Sands at the south end of Seaton Carew. The church of St Hilda and the town wall can be seen in the distance. A horse and cart are waiting to be loaded, probably with sea coal.More detail »
Across Mainsforth Terrace from Musgrave Street, there was a level crossing across the railway into Old Town. The signal box is still there in this picture. The houses were demolished in 1981 having replaced the original Old Town housing.More detail »
The Union Hotel opened in 1851 on the corner of Pimlico Street and Bridge Street in Old Town. From 1912 till 1964 just before closure, the landlord/lady was called Carr and the pub was known locally as Carr's.
An article in South Durham Herald 1869, shown in Marie Louise McKay's book The Lion Roars and the Monkey Bites, tells us that the hotel was connected to the Union Brewery and had ' excellent cellar connections with it' .More detail »