Masonic Halls and Lodges in Hartlepool.
Two ladies, possibly from the Match Factory, as the adverts on their bicycles read Nemco and Coronation matches in the Coronation parade. This view is taken looking east on Lauder Street. The Technical College can be seen on the right with the Town Hall behind - opposite on the left hand side is the Masonic Hall. The Pearly King on the left of the picture has his bicycle decorated with pictures of the Royal family. 12th May 1937.
HHT+N 4More detail »
The St Helen's Masonic Lodge is in Regent Street on Hartlepool Headland. THe lodge was formed in 1846 and moved into the current Regent Street premises in 1858.
It was to be called St Hilda's but as a lodge of the same name was already in South Shields, it was named after St Helen's Chapel's nearby ruins.More detail »
The image shows the Town Hall in what was then Hart Road but is now Raby Road. The town hall was built in 1897 and the Masonic Hall to the right on the other side of what is Lauder Street was built in 1893.
The photo was probably taken not long after the Town Hall opened.
HHT&N41More detail »