The second of the 'A' streets off Stockton Street and parallel to Church Street, it was demolished in the early 1960s.
This image is taken of the east side of Archer Street from Tower Street. The building on the left is part of The Clarendon public house (at the time the GEC Club)
The houses on the right are demolished. The back of the houses which can be seen are in Scarborough Street.More detail »
Taken from the roof of Christ Church, Archer Street is on the left and Tower Street Congregational Church spire can be seen in the centre. The quite imposing building on the top right of the image is Christ Church Parish Hall in Brunswick Street.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »