The Synagogue was opened in 1872 by chief rabbi Rev.Dr. Hermann Adler in Whitby Street and closed in 1967 although there had been a Jewish community worshipping in the town from 1852. There was also a schoolroom to accommodate 80 children. In 1967, members joined the Middlesbrough congregation. The building was demolished about 1975.
There is a Jewish Burial Ground at Spion Kop Cemetery.