Former street which ran west from Mainsforth Terrace to a junction with Whitby Street South. It was demolished 1958/9.
Taken in 1955 looking west from Lynn Street. Beyond the cross road with Whitby Street is Freville street then Moreland Street and at the top are the Fire HQs in Barnard Street.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
At 4.35am on 30 August 1940 a bomber flew past & released two HEs which hit Pilgrim & Hilda Streets. There were eleven people in a fish shop cellar of whom nine died including six children. ARPs survey the damage.More detail »