Former small traffic free street between Exeter Street and Surtees Street. Hartlepool College is now on the site.
Taken looking north from Grace Street towards Exeter Street across the top of the image.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.
More detail »
The image is from 1958 when Alma Place was being demolished. The houses in the street behind are the back of those in in Tower Street. The large white building to the right is what was Ord Printing.More detail »