Rosebank High School (see note below for details)
History of Rosebank School (thanks to ex pupil Peter Fox for information. See also Peter's notes on the school)
Rosebank, the house in Elwick Road, was for many years the home of George Pyman son of George Pyman a successful Hartlepool shipbuilder. Trade directories list it as a Pyman home until 1927 and therafter it is not listed until 1933 when it seems to have opened as a private boys' day school owned by FM Woode. A 1964 prospectus notes that it became Rosebank High School in 1939. There is a 1934 prospectus calling it Rosebank Boys' High School and fees termly were 4-6 guineas. This 1934 prospectus does also call the school ' this old established school' as prior to 1933, the school had its origins in The Boys' High School York Road (and before that Milton St) which had been previously run by Mr Woode, before him Mr Scott and originally by Mr Davis in 1875. The headteacher at the time of the move to Rosebank was F.M Woode and the school was advertised as being situated in a healthy part of the town.
From 1939, Kingsley Gallimore M.A. was the well known headmaster. He was also was Mayor of Hartlepool in 1969 . In 1952 it was fully recognised by the Ministry of Education. Mr Gallimore bought Ambleside Manor next door to Rosebank and the ground and first floors of this building became the Senior School, with the Rosebank building housing infant and junior age children.
In 1941, the school was housed in Heather Brae Middleton in Teesdale, noted in the Teesdale Mercury of Jan 22nd 1941 when Kingsley Gallimore spoke at the Teesdale Literary and Debating Society.
The Pyman family built a ship in Hartlepool in 1901 named Rosebank and it is assumed that it was named after the house. The school badge showed a large anchor again reflecting the shipbuilding interest.
Principal Mr Gallimore lived on the upper floor of Ambleside with his sister Minnie. It appears that on buying Ambleside Manor, he sold the lower part of the garden to West Hartlepool Council and it became part of the Burn Valley Gardens. The school closed in 1987 many photographs and much memorabilia being donated to Hartlepool Museum Service.
In 1988 parts of the Rosebank building were demolished following a fire, and a small group of detached houses were built and called 'Rosebank'. Ambleside Manor remains as residential accommodation split into apartments and looking at it from the Burn Valley looks very little changed.More detail »
Once a private home, Ambleside became the senior department of Rosebank School and home of the principal Mr Gallimore. Part of the garden wall between the two properties was demolished and a roofed pathway between the two schools called 'the covered way' was built.More detail »
Five older boys posed in the garden of Rosebank for this 1952 photo. Two even sport '6 packs' before they fashionably became known as such !
L-R unknown. Gordon Pickering,Gilbert Wilson,Ian Nelson, Stuart PailorMore detail »
This photo taken at Park Drive shows two boys, possibly Hicks and Allen as indicated by the board, taking part in a boxing match. Also on the board are the names Burn, Cliff and Park which are the names of houses in the school.
There was also a Park house which was represented by the colour green, Burn being red, Dene blue and Cliff yellow.
A.B Allen on the photo attended between Jan 1930 and July 1940 and lived at Tunstall Villa Tunstall Ave.
Although the photo says 1939, it could be slightly earlier.More detail »
Taken from a booklet of photos of 1952, these girls can be seen dancing in the assembly hall which had originally been the ballroom of Ambleside Manor. It apparently had a very slippery floor according to an old pupil and was also the room where Mr Gallimore assembled the whole school to inform the pupils of King George V's death around this time.More detail »
The image has been taken at Park Drive probably in the 1950s. To the left of the discus thrower is the old tea hut which was where the current scorebox now stands. This photo was taken a long time before the current Park Drive clubhouse was built.More detail »
This image is probably from the late 1960s, early 1970s (certainly pre compulsory hard hat days !) and is apparently of a new hall. The Rosebank building is in the background along with the numerous annexe building that made up this part of the school.More detail »
From a 1952 booklet, the image is of an infants' classroom which was in an outbuilding of Rosebank. It is a typical classroom of the time with a nature table, a 'kindergarten shop' and the day's date and ' news' for children to copy on the blackboard.More detail »
The group appear to be staff with Mr Gallimore on the far left. The male teachers are all wearing gowns. The three to right of centre are Mr Grose, 'biology' Brown, and unknown. The lady on the far right is Miss Goodson.More detail »
Taken in 1952 for a school booklet of photos.
Back row L-R: Sgt Bosworth, Brian Potts, Michael Morton, Ian Stalley, Shaun Brotton, Nevile Carswell
Front: Mr Grose, Neil Fuller, Hohn Grant, William Teasdale, NK, NK, John Hutson, Mr GallimoreMore detail »
Standing L-R : 'Basher' Brown-a teacher and ex England rugby player, Gordon Pickering, Tony Burns, Ian Nelson, Mr Gallimore, NK, Malcolm Hudson, Sgt. Bosworth.
Front: Don Shepherd, David Bosworth, Wilfred Innerd, NK, NK,NK.More detail »
The ladies are unknown although are definitely very smart for a sports' day. This is probably in the grounds of Rosebank, but could possibly be Park Drive ?
By the fashion, it is probably the late 1950s or very early 1960s.More detail »
The principal Kingsley Gallimore is at the centre of the front row. Interestingly, all the male teachers are wearing gowns and the female staff are not. It is unlikely that none of them were entitled to wear one.More detail »
From a 1952 booklet of photos, this is probably the older school pupils at a school swimming event at the old Billingham Baths. There are approximately 80 boys and only 15 girls.
The principal Mr Gallimore is fourth from the right on the back row and third from right is Sgt Bosworth the PE instructor.More detail »
The only names on the photo are Greg Malloy, Tracey Moody and Malcolm Johnson. By the fashions, this is late in the life of the school and the boys are wearing plain blazers, which were blue, rather than the distinctive striped ones.More detail »
This appears to be a demonstration PE lesson for a 1952 booklet of photos of Rosebank School and the children look somewhat posed. They are on the lawn on the east facing side of Ambleside. Mr Gallimore and Sgt Bosworth can be seen in the background on the right.More detail »
At Park Drive with the scoreboard clearly in the background, this is a sports' presentation with a number of local dignitaries present (some of whom look half asleep !) The photo looks to date from the late 1940s or 50s perhaps.More detail »
The two large houses in the foreground looking over the Burn Valley Gardens, are Ambleside on the left and Rosebank on the right and these formed Rosebank School. The large white house on the top left on the Elwick Road/ Queensberry Ave corner is Hartdale which is still there today although it is divided into two homes. The large white house top centre was Broomhill home of the Forslind family. This house was demolished in 1970 and a number of bungalows occupy the site.
Newlands Ave is the road in the centre running vertically and Westlands, Northlands, Eastlands, Southlands Avenues can be seen having been built after WW2. Claremont Drive can be seen but is very incomplete and only the first few houses built for RAF (Army ?) personnel are apparent on the top right.More detail »