Street which ran north from Thornton Street towards Victory Square.
This street was demolished to make way for Middleton Grange Shopping Centre and it ran north from Thornton Street. On the image, the top of the cenotaph can just be seen.
This is typical of a street which was not 'blighted housing ' to quote Max Lock, but was demolished to make way for the development of the central area.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »