Waldon Street originally ran from Elwick Road in the south and across Park Road to Villiers Street.Only the part south of Park Road now exists.
Looking at the part of Waldon Street, now demolished, between Park Road and Villiers Street,the education offices are of the right,on the left is property of JW Cameron and behind that is the Coop Bakery. In the background in Villiers Street is Gales Garage Service Department.
The photo was from a photographic record of the Central Area of West Hartlepool prepared in 1955/6 at the request of the Town Planning and Redevelopment Committee 'in the hope that it will be of interest to future generations of West Hartlepool'
The record focuses on areas which were within the next ten years to be completely redeveloped following The Max Lock Plan. It was compiled by WL Taylor and photographs developed by Thomas Clarkson Chemist of Tower Street.More detail »
Waldon Street, West Hartlepool, looking south. this is looking towards Elwick Road and STranton and the larger building on the left would be the start of Laurence St which was at right angles to it. The Laurence Street area is demolished and the Cameron's Brewery complex is on the site. The side of Waldon Street in this picture still exists although the houses which were once opposite have been demolished and the site is a medical centre car park.
This one of a number of images believed to have been compiled by Hartlepool's Planning Department.More detail »