Originally chapelry of Stranton Church on the corner of Arncliffe Gardens and Elwick Road. THe foundation stones was laid in 1902. The building for many years has been the parish hall and many church clubs and recreational activities take place there. It is also an active neighbourhood centre today.
The image seems to have been taken from Powell Street or Bangor Street possibly as the houses were about to be built indicated by the terrain. On the left, the back of houses in Arncliffe Gardens can be seen. The wall on the right is the corner of a shop. However, the buildings to the right of St Matthew's are a mystery as no current buildings seem to have that roof shape.
Can anyone help ?
HHT&N 611More detail »