Cliff Terrace, old Hartlepool was built around the late 1830s and was a very prestigious address which became known as 'millionaires' row' locally. The first occupants of the terrace were shipbuilders and timber merchants. The houses, which have amazing views across the bay to Saltburn and beyond, have five storeys, one floor being large cellar rooms with entrance steps from the front garden.
This picture shows houses in Cliff Terrace and the original lighthouse, which was removed by 1915. The house on the right was the home of the Misses Kay, who were killed and the house demolished during the Bombardment of the town on 16th December 1914.
One of the houses on the left was once owned by Thomas Richardson, who built the first Hartlepool ship "Castle Eden". The playground in foreground is now the Memorial Gardens.More detail »