St Andrew's Church.
Chapel-of-ease; 1886; brick with sandstone dressings; Welsh slate roof.
Terms used are ritual. Nave with north aisle; chancel; later porch adjoins
west end. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, divided externally by gabled
buttress with offsets. Rectangular, hollow-chamfered window openings with
perpendicular tracery. Blocked, pointed, chamfered arch in west gable, with
later pointed window in middle of blocking. Diminutive porch has chamfered
south doorway with quoin surround. Interior has been altered and all
fittings removed; now used as a restaurant called Mary Rowntree's after a past member of the congregation.
View from the Pilot Pier of the beach below York Place. St. Andrew's Church is in centre of Photograph. The small buildiing on the left was late taken over by the firm constructing the Heugh breakwater.
Note all the fishing nets drying over the town wall.More detail »