The Sebastopol Cannon, old Hartlepool.
The Sebastopol Cannonn next to the lighthouse at old Hartlepool.
This cannon was captured from the Russian Army at the battle of Sebastopol during the Crimean War (1854-56). In October 1857, the then Secretary of State, Lord Panmure, offered the cannon to Hartlepool Borough Council who gratefully accepted it. The cannon was transported from London on the steam ship ‘Margaret’ at a total cost of £2.19s.3d., and, after a year’s delay, arrived at Hartlepool in September, 1858.More detail »