This was a wool shop and on the left is St Paul's Hall. The street beside the hall is Alma Street. This shop, like many in Murray Street is now a take away food shop.
St Paul's Hall is currently a Muslim Community Centre and Polish Centre reflecting the changing population in the immediate area.
HHT&N 192More detail »
St. Paul's Church Easter play, 'The Ten Commandments', sometime around 1953/54. Ann Shaw (later Ann Stanbridge), is Commandment No.7, with Valeria Hardwick as No.9. The 'Commandments' are making their way from the Church to the Church Hall in Murray Street.More detail »
Gallons had, at various times, shops in Lynn Street, Musgrave Street, Elwick Road, Murray Street and Hart Lane. This would appear to be the shop in Murray Street.
An advert above the shop says the desirable property is for sale but whether that is the shop or upper floor is unclear. The estate agent was Walton of Scarborough Street.More detail »
Taken on the corner of Milton Road (then Milton Street below Murray Street) and Murray Street, the image is of Gardner's corner shop in 1912 prior to T Gardner emigrating to Canada.
This building still exists and is now The Royal Navy Club but completely refaced. The house on the left is still there but incorporated into the building.More detail »
Looking along Murray Street from Grange Road at Milton Road Post Office. This closed in 1985 and the image is probably not many years before that. A 'Silver Cross' pram with sun canopy stands outside. On the other side of Milton Road is St Paul's Hall which is now a multicultural centre.More detail »
This photograph appeared in the Hartlepool Mail in January 2000: Neil Wainwright's Uncle Alec has been able to identify the occupants of a number of these houses: from left to right -
the building next to the Store on the corner of Hart Lane and Murray Street, sold the Football Mail; "Ash" lived in the second house along; the alley led to Kenny Wilson's scrap yard; "Winship" lived in the next house; four doors down (No.62), "Moir"; No.64 "Whitehouse"; No.66 "Almond"; No.68 "Shaw; No.72 "Power"; No.76 "Robert Robertson Wainwright"; No.78 "Coates". At some later point the "Elliott's" lived in the end house.